Mid-year registration is open!
If you have any questions about our application and placement process please email us.
Please use the instructions below to register for your NEC Prep courses.
Getting Started with Registration
Returning Preparatory School Families
Returning students and their parents should already have Login IDs and Passwords. If you are the parent of a Prep student, please log in with your own Login ID and Password. Follow the online registration link at the top of the page and click "Sign In" on the welcome page of our online registration site to log in.
- If you’ve forgotten your Password you can retrieve it by clicking "Forget your password?" under the Password field.
- If you still cannot log in, please call the Prep office at (617) 585-1160. Please do not create a new account for your family.
New Preparatory School Families
The first step of the registration process is creating an online account for your family. To begin creating your family account, follow the online registration link at the top of the page and click "Sign In/Up" on the welcome page of our online registration site. Parents, please create an account for yourselves first. Then add your children by clicking “Create Account & Add Family Member” when you have completed entering in your information.
When you log in, you will be directly connected to the “Account Options” page. This page is where you can manage various aspects of your family’s accounts. Please review the following before registering for courses.
- If you need to update any personal information, click "edit" next to your name. You will see tabs to update personal, address, and contact information.
- Update your answers to various questions by clicking on “Change Answers to Questions” under your name and address. Please answer all questions on behalf of your family.
- Click “Manage Family Members” in the right side column. Once there, you should see all members of your family who have an association with NEC. If you are the parent of a Prep School student and your child is not listed under your account, please add your child's information here.
Finding Your Courses
To search for a course, hover over the word "Courses" at the top of the page*, and choose the type of course you are looking for (Prep Classes, Prep Ensembles, Prep Private Lessons). When you click on these options, you will see a full list of the available activities in that category. Click "Enroll" on the activity you wish to enroll in.
*You can also choose to click on the word "Courses" at the top of the page, which will bring you to a full list of all courses in all categories. You can enter an instrument or ensemble name in the search box to refine your search.
- Click on the appropriate private lesson course. Make sure the course has “Prep Private Lesson” listed in the name, not Continuing Education (CE). Then select the number of lessons agreed upon with the instructor (30 or 36 for academic year lessons), select the lesson length, and click "Enroll Now."
- On the Participant Information page, select the student as the participant and click continue.
- On the next page, scroll to find the instructor and then click Submit, then click Continue. Please note: Private lessons are only available in packs of 30 or 36 and you may not register for less unless otherwise indicated by the Prep Office.
- Answer the remaining questions on the next page. Please note whether you want to pay with a payment plan or pay in full at check out. Once completed and reviewed, click Continue.
- If you would like to add more classes, please search for them under "Courses" and follow the same steps.
- When you have confirmed that all courses that you would like to register for are in your Shopping Cart, please click Check Out to proceed to payment details.
Students who wish to register for private lessons should do so only after a studio teacher assignment has been made and both teacher and student have agreed on the number and length of lessons. Students who need a teacher assignment should complete an application in Slate. Additional information will be shared with new students beginning in late August.
Do not register for any large ensembles unless you have gone through our formal audition process and have been accepted into an orchestra or chorus.
Chamber Music and Jazz Ensembles
Students who are taking more than one Chamber or Jazz Ensemble should register for two activities. For example, Chamber Music and Chamber Music Additional Group.
A special note to Theory students: all jazz theory and classical music theory students should first be placed in a class appropriate to their level before registration takes place.
General Registration Information
Attending classes or informing instructors of the intent to register does not constitute formal registration for courses. Registration is complete only when online registration is complete and payment has been received and processed. All participants in lessons, classes, and ensembles must register and pay the corresponding fees.
All new students will need to get an NEC ID. If you lose your ID, a $10 fee will be charged to replace it. Information on how to obtain an NEC Prep ID can be found by clicking here.
Students and their parents are responsible for adhering to the registration deadlines and policies that are stated on the NEC Prep website. Students who have questions about registration should not rely on their instructors or other students for information regarding official policies. Misinformation or failure to read these guidelines does not exempt students from the published registration policies and deadlines.
Our main office is located in the 33 Gainsborough St. Building.